Maldon is an historic maritime and market town in the County of Essex
situated on the Blackwater estuary. It is an ancient Anglo-Saxon burgh
that was granted a Royal Charter by Henry II in 1171. From the Iron Age,
it has been settled in by the Romans, Saxons, Vikings and Normans
and is the site of the famous Battle of Maldon fought between Vikings
and the Anglo-Saxons in 991AD.